damper springs

Richard Wagner rjwag@pacifier.com
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:15:44 -0700 (PDT)

"No."  Don't replace the springs only on account of this "non-problem."

With the damper felt now missing, the BOTTOMS of the damper levers are
limiting further head travel towards the strings by contacting the spoons
and/or damper lift rod.

Once you replace the felt again (assuming you shoot for thicknesses the
piano originally had) you'll see that things work again with less
re-regulation required.

If you're still wondering about replacing the damper springs, however,
Be guided by considerations of; old spring breakage, touchweight
considerations, damping effectiveness [Ask Del Fandrich about this one,]
and finally cost effectiveness of your proposed work over all.

... My 2 cents worth.

	Richard Wagner RPT