Rebuilding for Performance or Show? changes - Isaac OLEG's list

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:47:12 +0200

Hello,

Do you mean keeping the original felt ? More probably when new felt is
used the dampers works better than with the old felts, while anyway
the tone changes because of that, it is tricky nowadays to find the
correct solution when it comes to damper felt on ancient instruments.
Many rebuilders seem to leave the old felt to simplify.

I did not say that I replace little dampers with larger ones, but if
It can help I thought I could replace the undelevers
so the system is easier to regulate and work with - that should
produce a change in tone and touch as well, certainly.
Thanks for pointing that - again, all depends of the kind of mood
expected when the piano is played, if he is intend to perform .

The strings seem to be the first prerequisite when looking for
"original" tone, then the kind of hammers (cold pressed preferably).
Is Ronsen producing replication on demand ? - I've heard lately they
use Laoureux felt as being the one of choice for cold pressing. Had
not hear them mounted in a piano but the ones I've seen very
appropriated for begin of the century French pianos as Pleyel, Erard
and such -white wood but not too heavy, clear soft tone with a lot of
resiliency but not a too deep hardness to begin with.

The shape seem a little thicker but not too much. I am willing to try
them if the cost is not prohibitive.

Talking about hammers with a very sharp molding, it is possible to
obtain the ones produced by Daneman in Sweden, they are the last
hammer makers that give that molding shape (but I've been told the
felt is not holding very long under heavy use on rental pianos) their
molding is almost in triangular shape that is may be because of the
lack of wood support that the expected life is not so long (4-5 years
of heavy use is not that bad). Sold in Europe by Meyne.

Best Regards.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech