"Tuned" Pitch Drop

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 18:31:16 -0400

Terry,

Do you tune all unisons as you go?  If you do, I don't have an answer.

But if you do one string for each key and then do the unisons afterward, might it be that those tuning pins slipped before you did the unisons, and you then tuned the other string to the incorrect lower pitch?

But that's no good, either, if the phenomenon just occurred in the last week or so.  Is this her only piano, or does she use it only sporadically and maybe just didn't notice the flat notes until now?

This week I tuned a 1911 Knabe grand piano that had very loose tuning pins scattered throughout (needs a complete rebuild it will never get, I reckon).  I've tuned this piano every six months since 1997, and it never had the problem to this extent before.  Sometimes we have answers, and sometimes we don't.  Sorry.

Regards,
Clyde