"Tuned" Pitch Drop

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 18:04:18 -0700

Hi, Don. I didn't chime in on this one before because I knew someone =
like Ron N would do it for me.  Calculated odds?  I don't think that =
they're really necessary. Mr. Nossaman has probably encountered =
something like this many times before, as have I. In a case like this =
the most likely cause is that the owner, or someone the owner knows =
altered the piano. Every time I see something that just looks too weird =
to be true, such as this I begin to ask the owner some discreet =
question, and every single time it boils down to somebody who had no =
business doing something to the piano just "trying to help out."
Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Don=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 9:30 AM
  Subject: Re: "Tuned" Pitch Drop

  Hi Ron,

  Want to back up your "calculated odds" with some reference material? =
Or are
  you just speaking "poetically".

  Terry, if these "unisons" were bichord plain steel wire, I'd look at =
the
  hitch pins. How is the "friction" element on this instrument? Any =
chance
  the strings got hung up between the pin and the Agraffe on the last =
tuning?

  Perhaps some helpful person pressed on the "sharp" string with a =
finger to
  try to clear the unison?

  Ron's original reply:

  >Two more of these occurrences, and she's eligible for sainthood. =
Presuming=20
  >they were tuned at pitch in the first place (forgive me, since I =
don't=20
  >doubt that they were, but it IS a necessary condition), the odds of =
this=20
  >occurring naturally are somewhat less than those of the piano being =
hit by=20
  >one or more meteorites on each of two successive Thursdays. Not that =
it=20
  >isn't possible, but you could become very rich very quickly betting =
against=20
  >it - assuming someone rich and foolish enough to cover the bet. The =
block=20
  >isn't moving, because the paired strings on all these unisons are =
different=20
  >overall lengths, and would go out of tune differently. Same thing =
with=20
  >anything else moving spontaneously. There's no rational pattern, and =
nature=20
  >is above all rational. That leaves people, who often aren't. Someone =
broke=20
  >into her house while she was gone and put them there. Check the VCR =
clock,=20
  >and see if they changed that too.
  >
  >Ron N

  Regards,