Bridge Pressure Bar

Delwin D. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 21:55:06 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don" <pianotuna@accesscomm.ca>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 7:54 PM
Subject: Re: Bridge Pressure Bar

> Hi,
>
> I have tuned a very few "straight strung* pianos and I have always felt
> they sounded "sweeter" than over strung. I wonder if cross stringing
> introduces interference (noise) in some manner.

Not that I am aware of. In general, cross-stringing (or over-stringing) will
make it easier to design the very low bass and more difficult to design a
clean and musically transparent bass/tenor crossover. Beyond these two areas
it should be able to design for pretty much the same overall sound with
either scheme.

Del