market value

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 17:16:16 EDT

Ron writes:
<<  What's the very approximate market value
for an original condition (un abused by anything but a Pianodisc
installation) 1975 New York Steinway D (Teflon action), and the equally
very approximate value of the same piano competently rebuilt with new
action, pinblock, soundboard, etc. No refinish.<< ]

   Greetings,
  The "value" is what they are selling for, and that can certainly change
with the fortunes of war or dotcom, so I will just relate a very recent sale
that may be used for comparison.
    A Steinway D, (1970) in that same condition was sold for $24,000.  Funky
finish but a usable action that had been replaced by Steinway and Sons in
1990.  It had worn hammers but everything was there.  Buyers are happy, ready
to spend a grand to shape, travel, regulate, level, tune,(Broadwoods),  minor
pinning attention.
  Buyers happy, seller was a little chagrined that that is all it brought.
   The completely restored D should be worth more, depends on the quality of
the rebuild.  I have seen too many poorly built or installed soundboards to
guess at a figure, but I know of one such job that sold for the same price as
a new D, (this was two years ago, I believe).  I have seen other after market
soundboard replacements that would have dropped the price below the original
condition older one.
 Hope this helps,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/