grand hinge pins

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 17:41:03 -0600

Hi David,
I am glad you did not suffer major injury.
I use my long wire bending pliers to put a little bend in the pin so =
that it will be tight in the hole.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dave Nereson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 3:12 PM
  Subject: grand hinge pins

      Never assume the hinge pins on a grand lid are in place.  We do it =
all the time, and usually we're OK, but I almost lost a finger today.  =
The lid was up when I got to the customer's home,  but I noticed it =
wobbled a bit when I removed the action to remove pencils, etc.  So I =
decided to tighten the hinge screws.  Lifted the lid up higher to get at =
the vertical screws that go into the rim when whisshht, whoosh, BAM! the =
thing came down on my hand -- hard !  I was afraid I had a broken finger =
or two, and one was bleeding.  I gingerly tried moving them and they =
were OK, but I know I'll be bruised for a week or so.
        Well, the rear hinge was missing its pin.  How the lid stayed in =
the up position for the whole hour and a half I did a pitch raise and =
tuning, and removed and shoved the action back in twice, not to mention =
the weeks or months or year (?) it had been that way with little kids =
practicing on it, I don't know. =20
      At least it was only a 4'8", and not a big grand -- I would have =
broken that finger for sure.=20

      I carry all the available sizes of hinge pins, at least those from =
Schaff, American (they had some sizes Schaff didn't, and vice versa, if =
I'm not mistaken), and a few from Yamaha, Samick, etc.  But I keep =
running into piano hinges for which none of those sizes is correct -- =
either they're too loose or won't go in at all.  And if they're too =
loose, they can just vibrate out of there, or kids will pull 'em out, =
whatever.  Guess I'll have to put one in that's a bit too small, and put =
a bend in it so it'll stay put.
      --David Nereson, RPT, Denver