Rebuilding for Performance or Show?

Delwin D. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 18:31:59 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2003 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: Rebuilding for Performance or Show?

> Flexible keys? I had not heard of that. I have heard that on some 9'
pianos the keys are long enough to flex significantly on a hard blow. Is
this new since the 1930s? Did keys get smaller in cross section? Is this
related to overall lower string heights on some pianos?
----------
Yes. They lost their bottom plates to make room for the half-round. This
detracted from the overall height of the key and, since the key is a
relatively simple end-loaded, center-supported beam, it lost a considerable
amount of stiffness.

And, no. I don't see how this would be related to the lower string height of
a piano.

> Spent several hours today sharpening hand plane blades. Took a little less
than one millimeter off the back side of my soundboard panel #1 the other
day. Let's just say its not a showroom job. Bit of an art this planing
thing. Funny how clear that is to me now. And I think I will make it a point
to have all the rising grain run the same way of individual boards next
panel also. Mix and not match makes for a bit of a challange!

Plane & learn, I always say.

Del