market value

Jonathan Finger johann@tollidee.com
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:57:57 -0600

As Wim said, most pianos double in price every ten years.

But in terms of ROI, no piano is a good investment.  A dealer, who is
able to get them at their best price, should get the best return on the
instrument.  But after the cost of doing business, even with his own
money put into it, he's only getting about 5% ROI.  A dealer would do
much better purchasing real estate, or investing in mutual funds
(Blech!).

My point is, many salespeople sell pianos as "an investment".   Sure if
your child learns to appreciate music, you've gained something from your
piano.  But in financial terms, you don't make money on a piano, and if
you do, the rate of return is horrible.

The guy should've been happy that he was able to get out of his piano
what he had paid for it 10 years earlier!  I would be ecstatic if I
could buy a BMW 760i now, and sell it in 10 years for the same price I
purchased it.

And before someone mentions it, yes there IS a 760 BMW :-)  it's even
sold here in the U.S. ..   430 HP of pure joy  ..  And if you wait 10
years, they'll probably only cost as much as a German piano! :-)

Jonathan Finger RPT