market value

Classic Touch Ent classictouchent@comcast.net
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 02:07:58 -0000

Steinway also doesn't mention that a loaf of bread (or practically
anything else for that matter) is now twice the price it was ten years
ago. Has investing gotten so dicey that people are now relying on piano
salespersons for investment strategies? Anyone got this client's phone
#.
Maybe he could 'invest' in some piano lessons!

Rich Olmsted

> In a message dated 4/19/03 8:03:39 PM Central Daylight Time,
> mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
>
> I was under the impression that Steinways appreciated in value. What
> did the D cost in 1970?
>
> Terry Farrell
>

> If you look at Steinway's web site, they say it is a good investment,
> arguing that the value of a D, (or any model), bought now is 2 times
> more than it cost 10 years ago. Well, that might sound like they
> pianos appreciate in value, but if you look in the Ascot Book from 10
> years ago, and compare the MSRP of all the pianos to what the MSRP's
> are now, and you'll discover that ALL pianos are twice as expensive
> today as they were 10 years ago. It's a sales ploy that quite frankly,
> as much as I like Steinways, stinks. It is very misleading, and to
> some customers, very confusing Case in point.
>
> About 3 years ago I was asked to appraise a 10 year old S&S S for a
> customer. When I told him it was wroth at most $20,000, he was
> shocked. He had bought it 10 years earlier for $20,000, and were
> selling new for about $36,000. He was lead to believe by the salesman
> that Steinways appreciate 100 percent in 10 years. So he plunked down
> $20,000, in the hopes of doubling his money in 10 years. He was mad at
> me for telling him he had been mislead.
>
> Wim

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available