Killer Octave Question

Owen J. Greyling RPT greyco@kingston.net
Sun, 20 Apr 2003 21:00:03 -0400

Re: Killer Octave QuestionRon,=20
Try "Pianos and their Makers"by Alfred Dolge pg 58. ISBN 0-486-22856-8
Owen G
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ron Overs=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2003 7:22 PM
  Subject: Re: Killer Octave Question

  Ron N. and all,

      Yes indeed. Now this leads me to wonder just how much longer we =
might expect a sound board with a properly laminated panel to last?

    Hi Ron,
    Wouldn't the question more fundamentally be how much longer will the =
panel last if we design it to be rib supported rather than panel =
supported?

    Ron N

  I am assuming that a serious sound board will be rib crowned, but a =
laminated all spruce panel with rib crowning must surely be an excellent =
combination.

  I am assuming that any piano maker worth his/her salt will be using =
the RC process for crown. I cannot understand how anyone who claims to =
be serious about piano manufacture would use compression crowning. The =
reality is, of course, that those who persist in using it are focused on =
the marketing and not the product. Its a lot quicker to make sound =
boards with straight planed ribs, while drying the hell out of the panel =
to achieve a crown which hopefully lasts long enough for the castors to =
come to rest on the lounge-room carpet. Recently, Del and Terry were =
discussing a certain manufacturer who claimed to have achieved =
perfection by 1930. An Erard representative made a similar claim at an =
1880s trade fair (it is mentioned in Men Women and Pianos - but I =
haven't been able to find the reference - should anyone know the page =
no. of this quote I would be interested to hear). And where can the =
famous Erard be found today outside of Museums?

  The logical conclusion we can draw is that claiming perfection is an =
admission of 'pending corporate death'. Certainly one swallow doesn't =
make it summer, but here we have two swallows. There's always some-one =
waiting in the wings to carry the banner forward.

  Regarding the fit-up of flat bridges to crowned sound boards, as I =
think one other technician mentioned on the list, we are talking =
strictly about the fit-up of a logarithmic style long bridges. Hockey =
stick long bridges truly are 'dust bin' technology.

  Ron O.
--=20

  OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
  Grand Piano Manufacturers