Killer Octave Question

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 08:58:10 +0200

Re: Killer Octave QuestionHi, lighten on those Erards' (or I send you
pictures of the Chickering ;>)   they where sold to be holding around 50
years, build to hold 100 years, and the last 1936 grand concert model I've
seen, (90 notes) while having lost most of the crown in the killer zone of
the Bermudas, (under 30%RH and way too much heat) is yet giving us something
of a piano tone.

excerpt of a  Erard London catalogue :

"The DURABILITY of the ERARD Pianoforte is proverbial , and is one of its
most valuable characteristics. While many instruments are worthless after  a
few years' use, the ERARD can be effectively restored to its original
excellent condition when 30years or even 50 years old".

I have meet a few 1915-25 Erards' over strung with a REAL crowning from bass
to treble (2 that I recall for sure) , the owners never care to have them
rebuild or even repaired as they are yet giving a nice tone (that is
desperation for the piano technician)
I was not aware of the crowning method employed in these days so I did not
took notes and pictures, but I know one of them I can have a look at and I
will try to these days.  I had make the effort to go under the piano with a
thread on the 2 pianos I think of.

Building and installing crown compressed soundboards have been told me as
being far way more difficult than rib crowned ones, and I see no advertising
about the method nowhere (and indeed most pianist should not understand the
difference). Seems unfair to me to talk as you do.

I have the impression too that everyone there is focusing on crown and
durability, while not many are comparing  the response characteristics of
the methods.
While building soundboard that are supposed to travel and be installed in a
repaired instrument far from the soundboard building place it is
understandable that crown compression (and not only  if I understand well)
is used, but how can you attain an internal assembly tension as high and
then a delay in springiness response with the ribs as the most active
elements ?
Are not we using this process to build the internal spring rate of the
soundboard ?

Being not experienced in these process I certainly will not argue on those
matters with you, but I seem to recall that even Del was building so called
"compression crowned soundboard in its early stages"  BTW thanks, Del for
your clearing on the "neutral fiber laying" it was exactly that concept I
was talking of .

I liked you to admit that may be those that still use this method don't
understand nothing to the process !!! , but they certainly not do that for
facility reasons , nor for marketing, from what I know, I am yet to see a
brand saying something about their crown building method (while the process
is better known actually because of such a lobbying made, may be Steinway NY
advertise on that now ???)

Everybody agrees we could build pianos without any crown if necessary, so
the presence of crown is not the only proof of the taste of the pudding I'd
say !

Well the next soundboard I will build I will use S shaped ribs and a
compressssed sssshaping method . Or we'll do again a soundboard with strings
on the 2 sides to produce eventually a double vertical (for twin brothers or
sisters that should be nice).

Have a nice Easter anyone !

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG