Rebuilding for Performance - - resiliency

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:35:05 +0200

Isaac OLEG
> (and I have a
> > real shop with some real tools also !!!).
> >
> > My Very Best Regards to you.
Helllo John,

I believe that resiliency is the propriety of the hammer to take back
its shape after stiffening under the load.

That is probably a taste and cultural matter, but I prefer the tone of
the hammers when the felt fiber is the material that create its own
springness under compression, without the help of stiffening agents.
that way more of the felt is involved in the process, and more than
that, the springness can be renewed in time with voicing.

Some old French pianos have (had)  a tone that is ready to play, as
Pleyel, while it is easier for the pianist to have an instrument that
is producing a good tone even when he is not in a good day , it have
been seen that some instruments more difficult to master, are allowing
a larger palette and more expression possibilities (articulation of
tone).
that is what I am after generally, and indeed it is way related to the
tonal output of the soundboard/string system also.

Thanks for explaining your process, and the principes that may be used
for the instruments you work on.

I wish to hear some older ones with new board if some recordings are
availables, have you some references to give us ?

With kind Regards.

Greetings

Isaac OLEG

B.T.W you could find the brand J.D. Weickert on the hammers of very
old European instruments, these where the first name of the actual
Wurzen felt.