Rebuilding for Performance - - resiliency

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:43:34 -0400

Isaac OLEG wrote:

> I wish to hear some older ones with new board if some recordings are
> availables, have you some references to give us ?
>
> With kind Regards.
>
> Greetings
>
> Isaac OLEG
>
> B.T.W you could find the brand J.D. Weickert on the hammers of very
> old European instruments, these where the first name of the actual
> Wurzen felt.

Isaac,

No I don't have any recordings to share with you. I haven't thought that
recordings reveal very much about voicing because you can't discover the
dynamic properties of the voicing with out playing the piano.

I posted a chart of hammer-set weights on my web site. I thought it
would be interesting to see if you have noticed that piano hammers from
before 1940 were lighter than the ones we use today. You can use the
chart to see how different hammer set compare.

I also included two older photos of wiring hammers on the Photo and
Illustration page since you were interested.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979