Photo of Stephen Paulello's concert grand

Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:41:04 +0200

Calin Tantareanu wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I looked at the photo of the bass bridge of teh Paulello piano, and there's
> one thing puzzling me: the device looks similar to a Stuart bridge agraffe,
> only reversed. This seems to nave no downbearing, since the strings bear on
> the upper termination. Am I getting this right??
> How is this piano constructed?
>
> Calin Tantareanu

No no... :)  Actaully the fact that the string is terminated by a horizontal bar
over the strings is kinda handy, tho this has nothing to do with string
downbearing perse. The String/aggaffe assembly as it were, will still have an
independant relationship (downbearing) to the bridge.

As far as the point that David Stanwood made about the lack of sidebearing. I'd
like to see more discussion about this.

Cheers

RicB

--