Even balance weight or even something else, that's the question.

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:41:25 +0200

Hello,

The main thing I am aware of is that we need some inertia to play
staccato, or marcatto, as in these modes the finger does not follow
the key all along the stroke, the action is finishing its path because
of inertia.

A friend have tried an early magnet balanced action on a Fazioli and
have find it very tiring to play , even when light, because the finger
may follow the key all along.

Make sense to me, I have still to read the remaining posts (compulsive
posing me as often !)

Best regards and bon appetite !

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy
94400 VITRY sur SEINE
FRANCE
tel : 033 01 47 18 06 98
fax : 033 01 47 18 06 90
cell: 06 60 42 58 77

Thanks Phil,

Maybe I have this wrong could you help? The leads
in a key lighten the touch when the key is pushed
slowly. So for soft playing it looks like they
assist in playing the key. At what point do the
leads begin to hinder the touch? I am making an
assumption but it looks to me like they help up to
the point they are accelerated past the speed they
would fall. After that additional energy needs to
be applied to move the lead faster. As a key is
played faster and faster more of it begins to
accelerate past the falling point. A lead out
toward the end could be hindering the touch and a
lead near the balance point would still be helping
to depress the key.

Please excuse me for making a few uneducated
guesses I know it's not the usual high level math
and science found on this list. I would be glad if
someone could straighten me out on this.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979