Even balance weight or even something else, that's the question.

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 08:21:34 +1000

>At 1:24 PM -0400 22/4/03, John Hartman wrote:
>Thanks Phil,
>
>Maybe I have this wrong could you help? The leads in a key lighten
>the touch when the key is pushed slowly. So for soft playing it
>looks like they assist in playing the key. At what point do the
>leads begin to hinder the touch? I am making an assumption but it
>looks to me like they help up to the point they are accelerated past
>the speed they would fall. After that additional energy needs to be
>applied to move the lead faster. As a key is played faster and
>faster more of it begins to accelerate past the falling point. A
>lead out toward the end could be hindering the touch and a lead near
>the balance point would still be helping to depress the key.
>
>Please excuse me for making a few uneducated guesses I know it's not
>the usual high level math and science found on this list. I would be
>glad if someone could straighten me out on this.
>
>John Hartman RPT

I think this is a very good point John. Lots of lead may well result
in an acceptable slow playing action, but it becomes a major obstacle
at fff. An action with a hammer/key ratio which is too high for the
hammer mass cannot be fixed by loading the keys with up to five key
weights.

Last year a client surfaced with a circ 1940s rebuilt Steinway which
recently had been 'repaired'. The repairing technician (a rather
loose use of the term, I know) had dropped a new set of wippens,
shanks and flanges onto the action without checking anything
(ratio-wise). Needless to say, throwing a couple of boxes of key
leads at the keyboard hadn't helped the situation either.

After moving the capstan line and heel depth, moving the roller slots
out to 17 mm and ridding the keyboard of lots of lead, everything
changed, including the length of the clients face once the action was
re-installed.

Best,
Ron O.
--