Even balance weight or even something else, that's thequestion.

Classic Touch Ent classictouchent@comcast.net
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 03:06:48 -0000

Dear piano tech beings,

The attention being devoted to physics and the design (especially
design), setup, function, and regulation of piano actions is laudable.
The recognition that it is a challenge to achieve balance is more
laudable. For me (as a pianist) I appreciate an action
design/setup/regulation which gives me the quickest response of the
part of the keystroke which I can NOT control (I'll simply call this
the return). Assuming friction is at a functional minimum and as
uniform as practicable, my preference is for a facile return. The true
genius applied to action regulation is (in the most general terms)
creating the ultimate teeter-totter without 'boogering' the potential
quickness of the 'return'.
             A LOT of the balance/inertia relationship issues (assuming
'reasonable' consistency and predictability) can be addressed and
should be the responsibility of a well practiced musician.
Consideration of mass, balance, inertia and force necessary to
accelerate a hammer toward its string(s) are affected (and can to a
significant degree be controlled) by the mass and or strength of the
pianists fingers, paws, forearms, posture, as well as THE TECHNIQUE
APPLIED.  While each pianist  develops a 'preference' for action 'feel'
or 'touch' (which preference often differs with composer and
composition), I think many (myself included) are seduced toward
'preference' rather than 'practice', 'experience' , and
'accomplishment'.
          One experience which sharpened my appreciation and awareness
of design limitation (piano & performer) happened this summer. For a
little over 20 years I have had the pleasure of playing a 1905 Mason
Hamlin AA. In July 2003 I acquired a 1964 and a half Mason Hamlin CC.
Both are beautifully regulated, yet it  is ASTONISHING how my playing
improved 'overnight' on the CC (I attribute this to 1.) my relatively
smaller finger/hand mass, and 2.) the mechanical advantage  the 'longer
lever' of the concert grand action affords me.

Best, Rich Olmsted