Key Button Wood

Dave Nereson dnereson@dim.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 21:23:45 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 5:06 PM
  Subject: Key Button Wood

  Key buttons are available in basswood or maple. Any advantage one way =
or the other with either material?

  Terry Farrell
   =20

      I've never encountered hardwood key buttons on older pianos.  It =
seems only Asian and maybe some German pianos post-1980 or so have =
hardwood key buttons.  The hardwood probably lasts longer and doesn't =
crush as readily when easing bushings.  On the other hand, when the =
bushings are too tight, it's quite difficult to ease the keys.
      The main drawback of key buttons made of very soft wood is their =
tendency to split when the hole is close to the edge. =20
      I don't know if hardwood is more dimensionally stable than soft, =
with changes in humidity.  Intuitively, I'd say yes, but someone out =
there probably knows for certain. =20
      --David Nereson, RPT