Soundboard re-engineering priorities

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 11:51:32 EDT

Dear particularly Ron N., Ron O., and Del (The RonDels? Papa Del Ron Ron?)

I've been following the soundboard discussions with great interest. While
many improvements have been suggested, and are actually being implemented by
a few, a great difficulty crops up for the less-experienced installer in
making the transition from copying boards to re-engineering bellies.

I would love to toss a re-designed rib layout, crowned ribs, third bridge,
multi-ply bridge cap, different bass bridge placement for longer backscale,
floating perimeter, new string scale etc., at the model A which is now
sitting in the shop awaiting a board. However, it would obviously be reckless
and uncontrolled to implement all these changes at once, as I would not learn
the effect of each change, and a real risk is present of winding up with a
piano which doesn't have the sound people associate, for better or worse,
with the marque.

One really needs to START with 50 installations under his belt, to try out
parameter changes one at a time and throw them all away. However, since this
is impossible, it would be nice to have guidance on the order of precedence.
Rather than throwing fifty experimental boards at one piano, I'm going to
have to make small changes in the next fifty pianos. I am willing to accept
that they may not be their ultimate.

I for one am a big fan of the Steinway sound at its best. If they all sounded
like the best ones, and the tone lasted like the most durable, I would be
happy, and most of my customers would too. Small order, hunh? It seems to me
that the biggest problems in Steinways are 1) longevity due to crown
collapse, 2) weakness in the lower treble and sometimes upper treble and 3)
resonance peaks in those areas, specifically at F5 and E7 (I wish the notes
around E7 were as powerful). I can live with the bottom half of the piano at
this point, except for the crossover on some (most) models. I'm handling that
temporarily with wound strings.

I have previously used crowned ribs, glued on in a bellied press, in a
moderate EMC environment, and they sound good and should presumably last
longer. I have (for now!) four specific questions:

1) Is there some small change to try next, to improve the treble sustain and
projection, without changing the rib layout, or making a new bridge root?

2) I thought the general deal was that stiffer=softer tone/longer sustain and
less stiff=louder, more abrupt. We recently strung a Chickering 109C, the
treble of which had both weak output AND a very short sustain in the top
section. The scale lengths and sizes looked normal. Whassup? Too much mass?

3) A third bridge obviously goes on a different spot on the soundboard, with
different impedance, and loudness, characteristics from the hockey-stick area
of the tenor bridge it replaces. How does one figure that difference into the
string scale the FIRST time? And would you leave the hockey stick area or cut
it away?

4) What difference do you think the grain angle to the belly rail makes?

Thanks,
Bob Davis