melting plastic SOT

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:34:13 -0700

Wim,,, Obviously, the acrylic keytops and the plastics used in the =
bottles are made of different materials for their different =
properties...
    Many people don't realize that many very powerful acids are =
routinely stored, safely,  in plastic containers. I'm not a chemist, and =
to fully explain it would take more knowledge of the subject than I =
have... All I can say is,, Ain't Science Grand!  We need more of it, and =
less emotional opinion in this world of ours..

Kevin=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: Pianotech@PTG.org ; caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 9:08 AM
  Subject: melting plastic SOT

  Melting Plastic, SOT, (Slightly Off Topic.)

  For hammer juice, I use acetone and keytops. I keep this solution in a =
plastic bottle.

  I'm no chemist, so how come the acetone dissolves the plastic keytops, =
but doesn't  dissolve the plastic bottle in which it is kept?

  Wim =20

  PS. Before I get blasted for using this stuff in the first place. =
please be assured I use it very sparingly only on Steinway hammers when =
I voice. These Steinway hammers are first given a liberal dose of =
lacquer and lacquer thinner, as per factory specification. I don't use =
any kind of juice on other hammers. (I keep the lacquer mixture in a =
plastic bottle too, (a mustard bottle), and it doesn't dissolve either.)