hammer velocity

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 05:53:07 +1000

>. . . Don't know about bullets and rifles. Too dangerous.

Peak chamber pressure (and hence acceleration) occurs with most
calibres about five calibres down the barrel. In other words, if its
a 6" Howitzer you've got pointed at someone, it will develop its peak
chamber pressure at about 30" down the barrel. But it does depend a
little on whether its an 'overbore' or 'underbore' cartridge, which
is another way of saying, it depends somewhat on the volume of the
cartridge, expressed as a ratio of the cross sectional area of the
bore.

As a disclaimer, I might add that I only know about these things
because I have been a keen centrefire rifle owner and hunter for many
years, who has used them for the control of unwanted introduced
animals to the Australian landscape. For the native fauna, I prefer
to use a camera for shooting activities.

Best,
Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY