hammer velocity

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:27:24 -0400

At 8:59 AM +0200 4/26/03, Richard Brekne wrote:
>The only aspect of the travel of the hammer the pianist can
>>  control is its velocity.  There might be an argument about this in
>>  physics because of the difference between velocity and
>>  acceleration.
>
>I am sure you are right here.... (about the argument part) I have read
>through 8 or 9 articles by those who have done the only readily
>available real science on the subject matter and they dont draw any hard
>conclusions.

The letter "x" is one element in the alphabet, the same way A4 is one
note on the keyboard, one sound in the air. String the letters of the
alphabet together (including spaces and punctuation marks) following
the rules of language (yours, mine or theirs), and you'll get an
expression of human thought. String notes (and combination of notes!)
together following the rules of a given musical tradition, and again
you'll get an expression of human thought. (Yes, the products of the
mind are far more interesting when they show the evidence of a heart.)

Play a single note with a human finger followed by one from a dead
weight (chosen to match the force of the first, human key stroke),
and you won't hear any difference. Give the pianist the sheet music
of a piece cut into a player piano roll, and compared that to the
performance by the player (not reproducer) piano, and you wouldn't be
human if you didn't hear the difference. Granted, a modern Yamaha
Disklavier can come closer to reproducing the nuances of human
performance than most humans can detect. But this digital marvel
still can't performance with nuances of its own.

So, yes, as far as activating a note on the piano, the significant
factors (the hammer's mass, its velocity at impact, the texture of
its crown and the friction at the shank center) are all outside the
control of the pianist. Making music, as with poetry, is another
matter.

Speaking of hammer velocities, these ought to be available from any
of the digital player/recorders with optical motion sensors.
(Granted, only the R&D people would have access to them.)

As far as hammer velocity, how you use it depends on what you want to
measure with it. When impelled by the action, the hammer is the
receiver of the force. Measuring the net force given to it by the
pianist would involve its mass and the acceleration to its speed at
the instant when it was disconnected from the pianist's force
(immediately on completion of LO). When the hammer slams into the
string, it's the giver of the force. Measuring the force given to the
string by the hammer would involve again, the hammer's mass and the
deceleration of its speed at the point of impact to zero (with the
string at maximum displacement). Somewhere in there is the fact that
the hammer is hitting a spring (not a brick wall) and that part of
the energy given by the hammer is returned to it by the string
throwing the hammer out of the way after it reaches maximum
displacement. The hammer felt is its own spring as well.

Slowing down is acceleration also, just a negative one.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"
     ...........Steve Martin