hammer velocity

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 17:10:47 -0700

----- Original Message ----- =20
From: Richard Brekne  To: Pianotech =20
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 11:59 PM=20
Subject: Re: hammer velocity=20

Richard Moody wrote:=20

YES!  The hammer as it strikes the string is actually slowing down in =
theory.    A major consideration of the design of the piano action is =
that the hammer must leave the  impelling device,=20
(jack) and continue to travel for a tiny distance free and clear, strike =
the string, rebound, and then come back in contact with the action =
mechanism which must now "catch" the hammer.=20

I believe there is a letoff position (just under 1mm) that is so close =
that the hammer does not have a chance to start de-acceleration. I =
havent gotten into all this side of things very much yet, so I am not =
sure of myself here, but isnt there some sort of "left over" force that =
keeps an object in acceleration for some small period of time even tho =
the origional applied force is removed ?  Like a bullet coming out of a =
rifle ?? Doesnt that meet its maximum acceleration some few milliseconds =
after the explosion of the shell ?=20

RicB=20

    No, Richard, no "left over" force is there to continue accelerating =
an object after it's direct influence is removed. If you really want to =
know what happens inside a rifle, feel free to write me privately. No, =
the bullet doesn't continue accelerating after leaving the barrel.  The =
only thing that I think could possibly continue accelerating a hammer =
after the jack has tripped would perhaps be the flex of the shank =
becoming straight again, but at 1 mm, I'm not sure that it could be =
measured without high-speed cameras to capture the action.=20
    In reality, the pianist has the skill to adapt to the instrument, =
and still make music.  All we can do is to provide them with the best =
regulated and voiced instrument we can, and they can take it from there, =
if they are truely "musicians".
Kevin.