hammer velocity

Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:25:47 +0200

"Kevin E. Ramsey" wrote:

> Richard BrekneI believe there is a letoff position (just under 1mm)
> that is so close that the hammer does not have a chance to start
> de-acceleration. I havent gotten into all this side of things very
> much yet, so I am not sure of myself here, but isnt there some sort of
> "left over" force that keeps an object in acceleration for some small
> period of time even tho the origional applied force is removed ?  Like
> a bullet coming out of a rifle ?? Doesnt that meet its maximum
> acceleration some few milliseconds after the explosion of the shell
> ? RicB     No, Richard, no "left over" force is there to continue
> accelerating an object after it's direct influence is removed. If you
> really want to know what happens inside a rifle, feel free to write me
> privately. No, the bullet doesn't continue accelerating after leaving
> the barrel.  The only thing that I think could possibly continue
> accelerating a hammer after the jack has tripped would perhaps be the
> flex of the shank becoming straight again, but at 1 mm, I'm not sure
> that it could be measured without high-speed cameras to capture the
> action.    In reality, the pianist has the skill to adapt to the
> instrument, and still make music.  All we can do is to provide them
> with the best regulated and voiced instrument we can, and they can
> take it from there, if they are truely "musicians".Kevin.

Well like I say guys... I havent brushed up my inertia physics in a long
time :) Another fellow (who knows I like Star Trek series) wrote
privatly to me as asked me if I'd ever seen the episode where the
Enterprise does a saucer seperation... and he aske me "now is the saucer
accelerating away from the ship, or is the ship just slowing down
faster"... I kinda got the point :)

Still, there does seem to be some pent up force in the entire system
that is throwing the hammer upwards. Key and shank flex are two that get
mentioned a bit in this connection. Seems to me that all this is the
direct result of the amount of force put on the keyfront. Just where and
how this pent up energy gets released I am unsure of. Within the space
of 1mm  of key travel perhaps ?

btw... the rifle thing... I dont think I mentioned anything about after
leaving the barrel... did I ? I think I said quite clearly after the
initial explosion.

Cheers

--
Richard Brekne