hammer velocity - rigle

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 12:54:07 +0200

Richard

I guess that it is air compression that throw the bullet out of the gun, I
understand deceleration occur as soon an object is not propelled.

Tubular shanks loaded with compressed air for piano hammers (patent pending)

Greetings

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy
94400 VITRY sur SEINE
FRANCE
tel : 033 01 47 18 06 98
fax : 033 01 47 18 06 90
cell: 06 60 42 58 77

  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Richard Brekne
  Envoye : dimanche 27 avril 2003 12:26
  A : Kevin E. Ramsey; Pianotech
  Objet : Re: hammer velocity

  "Kevin E. Ramsey" wrote:

    Richard BrekneI believe there is a letoff position (just under 1mm) that
is so close that the hammer does not have a chance to start de-acceleration.
I havent gotten into all this side of things very much yet, so I am not sure
of myself here, but isnt there some sort of "left over" force that keeps an
object in acceleration for some small period of time even tho the origional
applied force is removed ?  Like a bullet coming out of a rifle ?? Doesnt
that meet its maximum acceleration some few milliseconds after the explosion
of the shell ? RicB     No, Richard, no "left over" force is there to
continue accelerating an object after it's direct influence is removed. If
you really want to know what happens inside a rifle, feel free to write me
privately. No, the bullet doesn't continue accelerating after leaving the
barrel.  The only thing that I think could possibly continue accelerating a
hammer after the jack has tripped would perhaps be the flex of the shank
becoming straight again, but at 1 mm, I'm not sure that it could be measured
without high-speed cameras to capture the action.    In reality, the pianist
has the skill to adapt to the instrument, and still make music.  All we can
do is to provide them with the best regulated and voiced instrument we can,
and they can take it from there, if they are truely "musicians".Kevin.

  Well like I say guys... I havent brushed up my inertia physics in a long
time :) Another fellow (who knows I like Star Trek series) wrote privatly to
me as asked me if I'd ever seen the episode where the Enterprise does a
saucer seperation... and he aske me "now is the saucer accelerating away
from the ship, or is the ship just slowing down faster"... I kinda got the
point :)

  Still, there does seem to be some pent up force in the entire system that
is throwing the hammer upwards. Key and shank flex are two that get
mentioned a bit in this connection. Seems to me that all this is the direct
result of the amount of force put on the keyfront. Just where and how this
pent up energy gets released I am unsure of. Within the space of 1mm  of key
travel perhaps ?

  btw... the rifle thing... I dont think I mentioned anything about after
leaving the barrel... did I ? I think I said quite clearly after the initial
explosion.

  Cheers

  --
  Richard Brekne