Questions form a person soon to be new to the profession...

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 21:50:32 EDT

I am in the same boat as Dave, needing to work at the same time I was
studying, raising a son, yada, yada, yada....I've actually been in the piano
business for 25 years(selling, moving, tuning, but no serious regulation or
repair) and have been tuning pianos for about that long, but when I went into
business for myself, I needed to be able to pretty much do everything.
Fortunately, I have been getting alot of help along the way from piano techs,
store owners, etc., that I have known for quite some time.

Despite an abundance of connections, I had limited time to learn enough to
make me feel comfortable as a roving, self-employed technician--simple stuff
that I was too lazy to learn when I was a sales/tooner/mover in a store, like
replacing a string, shimming a tuning pin, etc., etc.  .  I decided to try
the Randy Potter course, because I'd heard many good things about it.  I have
found it incredibly helpful in augmenting my tuning and technical skills.
Using that and having somebody who share their knowledge will certainly help
you decide if being a piano tech is youR cuP of T....

Good luck!  It's an engaging and rewarding road to travel!

Dave Stahl

Joining the PTG opens many doors.  In a message dated 4/26/03 3:09:38 PM