lacquer softener

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:50:13 -0400

At 9:27 AM -0500 4/27/03, Mike  Spalding wrote:
>I tried the Downy method only once, on my own piano.  It certainly
>de-brightened the tone the way I wanted it to, but shortly
>afterwards I noticed the string grooves in the bass section had
>turned green.  Other techs in my chapter said this never happened to
>them, so maybe it was just concidence.  Nevertheless, I would
>recommend caution with this method.

Try Snuggles. My first time, I had no idea of the proportions and did
1:4. They sounded like raw NY Steinway hammers afterwards , but at
least they could be re-reinforced like raw NY, as well. It worked,
but scared the heck out of me. Now I use David Porritt's recipe. I
gave up on steaming heavily lacquered hammers. The steam might want
to make the felt mass expand, but it could do nothing to break the
lacquer's "chaining' the fibers together.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I wish you kinda, like, good health"
     ...........NPR talk show host Terri Gross, responding to
"OutDoors" magazine correspondent John Krakauer's
tales of lost sleep and queasiness regarding his line of work,
after surviving a freak blizzard on Mt.Everest, which stranded
and killed several in his climbing party.