polyester repair

The Leshers lesher@jdweb.com
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 11:15:15 -0400

> has anyone on our list done polyester repair? specifically, I have a U1
> polished ebony fallboard with a small chip, about the size of your small
> fingernail, and maybe 3-4 mm deep. would a polyester repair of this size
be
> something I could do myself with the proper materials? Any advice in this
> matter will be very much appreciated.
>
> Terry Peterson

Terry,

The short answer to your question is "yes."  The materials cost about $400
for the full Monty.  However, there is another (perhaps greater) cost, that
of spending the time and enduring the frustration of getting good at this
rather demanding repair discipline.

I do polyester repair work and rather enjoy it--now.  I say "now" because I
have had to pay some dues to become proficient and confident in my ability.
In other words, I have had to eat a few jobs along the way.  But I'm
convinced this is the only way to learn--by jumping in up to your neck,
doing it, learning from your mistakes, and doing it again, again and again.

Polyester repair work is not for everybody.  I know at least two who got the
materials and not long after, put them away for good.  I think the reason
for this is that it's not as easy as it looks.  I characterize polyester
repair as part chemistry, part art.  Either part can get you into trouble.
Like anything else worth learning well, it takes commitment and practice.

A few words about the chemistry:  the repair stuff gives off quite an odor
and is not forgiving to carelessness.  Also, water, pastes and liquid
polishes are involved.  You can end up with a mess if not situationally
aware at all times.

Customer expectations are difficult too.  I find that customers often expect
magic where magic is not possible.  They expect all the damage to disappear.
The good news is that you can make minor damage literally disappear.  It's
not so easy with major dings.  The idea here is to convince the customer
that damage subdued enough that a reasonably sighted individual will not
notice it.under normal conditions may have to be good enough.  I give a
little speech to this effect before I start.  It is usually effective in
skewing expectations just enough that, in the end, the actual repair is a
pleasant surprise.  If however, the customer inspects your work with a
magnifying glass and a supercharged, turbohalogen light, you could be in for
some frustration and out some cash.

The damage itself is also troubling.  Let me explain by saying I got started
in poly repairs by buying a seat in one of Ruth Phillips' classes.  The seat
cost $295 at the time and included the hands-on class, plus a polyester
repair kit.  (I think the class costs about $395 now but you get more in the
kit.)  In the class, we all got a 4" square of polyester-finished wood.  We
then repaired a self-inflicted ding in the center of that square--a pretty
benign set of conditions.  The point is that actual dings never seem to be
so benign.  In fact, they usually encompass edges and corners where your
repair will have to blend at least two surfaces.  Realize this and practice
enough to be able to deal with it.

In summary, polyester repair work can be fiscally and mentally rewarding,
but like most other worthwhile endeavors, it's neither a freebie nor a
no-brainer.

Best,

Cliff Lesher
Winfield, PA