Tightbond Creep

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 17:26:47 -0400

> That being said..... just how many times is it likely that a rim will get a new
> soundboard installed ?? If you are installing a new panel in an old instrument
> ? Seems unlikely that this issue should ever come up again in the life of that
> instrument... or what ?

Why would the issue not pop up again in 50 to 100 years (or whatever the lifespan of a well-designed rib-crowned soundboard is - and considering environmental factors)? I guess part of the overall equation is are you applying band-aids to the piano? Or are you doing a proper rebuild/remanufacture where you are producing the rough equivalent of a new piano? Hopefully, sounding even better than new, and very hopefully better than most of what is available today, should it not be even more likely that it will be rebuilt again?

Terry Farrell