Key Button Replacement

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:26:00 -0400

> I was thinking two drilled holes and a chisel to even the sides.

That would make a hole, yes, but I don't think it would make a perfectly accurate one. I have envisioned a jig to reproduce exact size holes - don't know how well it would work in use though (my imagination often seems to be jig-compromised).

Below I have tried to draw the jig. Basically make a solid picture frame with three sides - open in the middle of course. The fourth side, on the left below, is loose, but snug fitting - that side can be moved left and right to adjust to the size of the blank that you use for a slab of buttons. The button wood set into the center (it must be squared well) - it will be short of the top/bottom by the length of the center pin slot opening. Then set an appropriate sized piece of something (the thickness of your center pin plus enough for the bushing cloth) between the right edge of the button blank and the inside of the right hand picture frame. Snug the movable left side up to the button blank & clamp/secure in place. Now the button blank can move left-right and top-bottom just the exact size of the button mortise. Now set this apparatus over a small (like 1/8th inch) straight router bit (drill a hole first if you wish), secure into position, and move the button blank to the extremes of the picture frame opening and you, theoretically, will have a perfect center rail pin bushing mortise.

__________________________________              |
 |        |                                                                  |             |
 |        |                                                                  |             |

Anyone have a better idea?

Terry Farrell