Cold hide glue

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:31:37 -0400

Farrell wrote:
> John, what are your feelings regarding cold hide glue. My understanding is that it has all the strength properties of hot hide glue, although I realize there is some controversy over that. Thanks for the panel pictures.

I have never used cold hide glue. From what I understand you can make
your own by adding over 30% urea to hot glue - not sure how much. The
urea definitely weakens the glue - I've been told - but I am not sure it
is enough to worry about. Sounds like an opportunity to experiment. Make
your own cold glue and compare it with the hot glue. Get back to us with
your findings.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin