Tightbond Creep

Stephen Birkett sbirkett@real.uwaterloo.ca
Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:15:19 -0400

Ron wrote:
>I don't find it in Understanding Wood. Must be looking in the wrong
>place. I did find mention of "tends to yield under continued stress"
>in the Wood Handbook, with no differentiation made between white and
>yellow PVA. There is a considerable and obvious difference between
>the two, as anyone familiar with both knows. It also mentions
>crosslinkable PVA, which would be the Titebond II equivalents, with
>no mention of creep whatsoever.

These are all good points. One of the improvements in Titebond II is
much reduced creep resistance compared to the white stuff. Mind you
even regular titebond II will creep under enough sheer stress. Hide
glue will not creep, ever...it's impossible. A hide glue joint can
only break, like glass, due to the cross-linked structure. OUTDOOR
titebond II is supposed to be a cross-linking PVA derivative of
regular titebond II, so presumably that stuff ought not to creep at
all either.

>I'd still like to find some real information on this for my own
>education, if nothing else, should anyone happen across it somewhere.

Many of the so-called official glue  tests, like the kind you see
reported in govt. publications, Fine Woodworking, and especially the
industry documentation are simply incorrect, or at the best
inaccurate. For instance, most documents list hide glue as having
poor  resistance to water, AND poor resistance to heat, neither of
which is true. Only both of these in combination (e.g. steam) will
weaken a hide glue joint. [and incidentally it is possible to remove
a hide-glue glued in soundboard without damaging it if you use the
right methods]. As for heat, hide glue is used to glue the abrasvie
on sandpapers because it is so resistant to heat (friction). And I've
seen a piano whose spine had lain in water for decades, enought to
rot the wood, yet the hide glue joint was still tenacious. but I'm
digressing...

Ron asks for evidence - I don't know any quantitative tests, but
there is plenty of anecdotal evidence for creep failure of PVA joints
subject to excessive sheer stress. Some specific applications that
are problematic would include severely bent laminations, cross grain
joints with thick components, and especially joints with dissimilar
materials. The last two produce very high sheer stress due to
differential response to moisture and I have heard of such joints
failing (again I don't know if those specific anecdotes were titebond
or titbond II, and it is important which one it is). Another problem
with titebond is its weak resistance to sheer stress when subject to
heat - at least I know the white stuff is, not sure how good the II
is on this score. Could be tested pretty easily. I've seen stressed
joints fail completely in sheer stress tests at only 200F - hide glue
in a side-by-side comparison with increasing temperatures had not
failed by the time the wood was charring. Luthiers are very cautious
in this respect, because it's not unheard of for naughy violinists to
leave their instruments in a car in the sun and have them pop apart
if not glued with hide glue.

Harpsichord and piano builders who glue cases together with titebond
risk problems later, and I know of cases that have literally torn
themselves apart at the joints after several years of sheer stress
from string tension. This generally results in the board moving north
into the gap and jamming the works. Even with titebond II I would not
trust a 5 ton string tension on a big Viennese piano.

I agree with Ron that most of the bad stories of PVA creep are
related to the earlier white stuff. Titebond II is different not just
in the colour. But it is still not immune to creep and I would avoid
it in the specific applications where excessive sheer stresses can
develop. Only a cross-linked glue joint had zero creep.

Not that I see any need whatsoever for using any other type of wood
glue than hide glue for anything, if only because it's so much easier
and pleasant to use it than the muck in the squeeze bottles. ...but
that's another rant.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett