Key Button Replacement

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:49:47 -0700 (GMT)

>I have envisioned a jig to reproduce exact size holes .........
>................a perfect center rail pin bushing mortise.
>
>_____________________________________
>

>_____________________________________
>  |            |                                   |             |
>  |            |                                   |             |
>  |            |                                   |             |

>Anyone have a better idea?
>
>Terry Farrell

I don't know about better, but different at least.  Make a long box of four pieces glued up.  Two strips of thickness equal to the width that you want the 'mortice' to be, separated by the length that you want the mortice to be, and sandwiched between two side strips.  Slice the box up into key buttons on the tablesaw.  Another advantage of this is that you could orient the grain of the pieces to make the mortice width dimension as stable as possible.

Phil Ford

Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave - 130