hammer velocity

Delwin D. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:53:12 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 6:52 AM
  Subject: Re: hammer velocity

  Joe,=20

  If you figure the jack is pushing on the knuckle, it would be causing =
the shank to bend backwards(downward).  When let-off occurs, I'd think =
that the hammer head would then catch up with the rest of the shank....=20

  I'm just suggesting this as a possibility.  I claim no extensive =
knowledge of physics.....=20

  Dave=20

Sigh. It's back to the Journal again. Only at pianissmo is there a =
direct relationship between the motion of the key end and the hammer. =
Since this is typically what we see at the regulating bench we make the =
asumption that this is what occurs in the piano under normal play. In =
fact as one approaches forte the key motion precedes that of the hammer =
by an increasing amount. Indeed, in a typical "modern" concert grand the =
keys in the bass up through the mid-range will have fully bottomed =
somewhat before the hammer begins to move. From that point on energy is =
moving through the system and is being delayed by the compression and =
flexing of the various action components. At this point there is no =
longer any hope for subtlty.

Del