even balance weight or something

Classic Touch Ent classictouchent@comcast.net
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:48:43 -0400

Hi David,

Sounds like a very reasonable starting place (the muting experience
should produce interesting results and 'feedback?'. As a pianist I can
say for sure that given enough time I get used to whatever I've been
playing (whether I think its normal or not is another story.) To date
my personal experience has been:      My first piano = (new) late 60's
Baldwin 'acrosonic' spinet. 2nd piano=(bought in early 80's) 1905 Mason
Hamlin AA USED complete with mismatched Aeolian hammers,shanks,flanges
THEN restored 2002 with correct Renner action parts, repaired  board,
custom cold drawn (european) bass, remainder Roslau strings, and a
'second to none regulation' (talk about your Also Sprach Zarathustra
experience). 3rd piano 1964 and a half Mason Hamlin CC (just broken in
really)  first 2 years of its life the
as necessary concert rental out of the Manhattan Mason dealer showroom
(some very particular artist(s) must have played this in concert
because the regulation even now is such a pleasurably responsive
experience), then having regular but minimal use until I purchased in
July 2003 and immediately restrung (same stringing as Mason AA).
    Yes there is a point to all this.  1.) I got used to and could
perform musically on each of these instruments. 2.) the Baldwin and the
unrestored AA could not get me where I wanted to go (not responsive
enough/dynamic range extremely limited) no matter how much
practice/energy expended. I learned to STRUGGLE.  Restored AA and the
CC gave me the experience of what it is to play 'without constant
struggling', then 'with relaxation' , then 'with total childlike
abandon'  WHEE-E-E-E-E!!!!!!  Fortunately for me I never bought in to
the 'heavier all the time is better  just in case/ for when I run
across it' mindset. My practice routine has evolved to include the
softest pianissimo (for at least an hour at a clip each day) and the
biggest (fat &/ thundering but not machine-gun percussive) fortissimo
(also for an hour at a clip each day). That keeps me competent for
reasonably heavy and reasonably light actions.
It is still TOUGH to go from the delight of either Mason to MANY other
pianos I have the opportunity to perform on (setting aside regulation
differences) just because of my tonal quality/color/sustain
preferences. I just love the synergy of so many elements coming
together in a personal preference kind of way. This is where I believe
David's  idea of 'mute regulation analysis' has maximum potential
value. It precludes me (the pianist) from dragging other personal
preferences (having little or nothing to do with action response/feel)
into the feedback. Playing without sound. My initial reaction is
'fingernails on the chalkboard', but I'd volunteer in a heartbeat if
asked.

        I believe (okay I hope, better make that PRAY) we could arrive
at a standard or a 'standard range' BUT EVEN FAILING THAT perhaps a
'certification' of balance weight/front weight ratio or whatever system
is used to label/quantify the 'feel' pianists want or claim they want.
        I believe that venues that have their  own instruments, or
concert instrument rental businesses have conflicting economic interest
in what they deliver to the performer/audience & what their fee scales
will be based upon (lower fees don't always/not even usually produce
better value). Once again what is the perception of true value? With a
certification system for concert instrument providers, standards have
the potential to increase competition to provide better musically
responsive product to the performer, and ultimately better performances
for the audience. COWABUNGA DUDE !!

Best, Rich Olmsted