even balance weight or something

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:30:44 -0400

Hi Rich,

I loved you post!  I do agree that we can grow accustomed, more or less, =
to many different action characteristics, but I do pity the poor concert =
pianist who has to move from piano to piano (and the poor techs who have =
to figure out how to make all the pianos as uniform to the pianists =
expectations as possible)!  I can appreciate why Horowitz traveled =
everywhere with his Steinway D.  I also agree that a system of standards =
would greatly assist the concert pianist.  Having said that, I don't =
think that uniformity is a good thing, as it would arrest evolution of =
the piano in the same way that evolution of the violin has been =
arrested.

I was fascinated recently by an exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum in =
NYC (I think that's where it was).  An acoustic engineer whose name I =
forget took it upon herself to redesign string instruments in the 1940's =
(?).  She did this by analyzing the vibrational patterns of the various =
elements, the acoustics of the air cavities, etc.  She came up with a =
system of probably 6 or 8 new instruments to replace the violin, viola, =
cello, and bass.  These instruments were purportedly superior to the =
existing ones and were received with considerable curiosity.  However, =
most of us have not heard these instruments.  The string community is so =
conservative that it could never break away from its uniform standards =
and embrace these superior instruments.  So sad.  We may have "the =
standard" violin forever, with no hope of ever tasting a sweeter =
instrument.

The piano is still evolving, and I mean "evolving" in a technical sense. =
 Students of evolution will recognize that evolution cannot occur =
without phenotypic variation.  How can any mechanism of selection work =
if there is nothing to be differentially selected?  The modern piano is =
not as good as it will one day be.  Perhaps more accurately, the modern =
piano is not in the form that will eventually be more preferred.  As =
needs and preferences change, the piano will continue to evolve to meet =
those needs, and hopefully (IMHO) that process will never stop.

This begs the question of whether tomorrow's piano will still be =
completely recognizable as a piano.  Would Cristofori or any of the =
early composers recognize the modern piano?  Would it have been better =
if we had the Cristofori piano even today?

I was fascinated to listen to a piano with a steel soundboard (posted on =
the web somewhere).  While the bass and tenor sounded more or less =
piano-like, the treble rang slightly like a steel drum.  It was a =
fascinating sound, not all that bad.  The tonal qualities in the treble =
were probably partially attributable to higher efficiency from a better =
impedance match.  (Del???)  However, it didn't sound completely like "a =
piano."  A piece written for "a piano" might not sound right if played =
on it.  Of course a piece from Cristofori's time played on a modern =
piano probably wouldn't sound right to the composer either!  Is a steel =
piano still a piano?  (Is the modern piano really a piano?)  Should the =
steel piano be a "speciation" point, in the same sense as an acoustic =
and an electric guitar?  Should it take its own parallel course of =
evolution and have pieces written specifically for it, instead of the =
wooden soundboard piano?

Our tastes in "the piano" change from generation to generation, and =
that's probably a good thing.  The steel piano, or whatever innovation =
we may concoct, may seem pretty weird to us right now, but I have no =
doubt future generations could ease into it (or into whatever better =
suits their tastes).  The same could be said of actions.  You yourself =
pointed out that you can adapt to new action characteristics.  So can we =
all.  With time, and with lots of trial and error, perhaps we will =
arrive at something even more efficient, dynamic, and intuitive.  Here's =
hoping.

For the time being, I understand your desire for piano uniformity.  =
Perhaps as an alternative, we could have a system of uniformity in =
*characterizing* piano actions, much like we have a system of uniformity =
in labeling the nutritional attributes of the foods we eat.  An =
experienced dieter can read the labels very quickly and understand =
exactly how fat the food item will make her.  As someone with acoustical =
experience, I can read acoustical specifications and view charts and =
know exactly how a device will sound.  It would not surprise me if a =
system of numerical specifications could be used to characterize a =
piano.  I think the experienced pianist could ascertain from those =
specifications much of how a piano would perform, and furthermore he/she =
could request that a piano meet certain specifications.  This would =
leave the pianist more certain of the piano he/she will be asked to =
play, while still allowing for individual variation in taste and =
continued evolution of the instrument.

What form might the specs take?  Perhaps spectra at different notes, =
reflecting brightness/darkness.  Perhaps a curve of the acoustic power, =
as a function of the mechanical input to the soundboard.  Obviously =
action ratio.  Key mass (range).  Hammer mass (range).  Total action =
inertia (range).  Regulation settings.  Average bushing tolerances.  =
Average departure from key-to-key uniformity on the above.

Yes, most would argue that one must listen to and play a piano to know =
what it will do.  We used to say that about stereo amps, but most people =
today are able to form reasonable expectations of an amp's performance =
based on the specifications.  Walk into many audio shops, and they won't =
even be set up to let you listen to and compare amps.  Few people do.  =
We still say one has to listen to speakers, but I assure you that an =
experienced acousticians doesn't really need to do this.  Just give me a =
valid response curve (i.e. no smoke and mirrors stuff), info on the =
crossover, and power and efficiency specs on the various speaker =
elements (again, no smoke and mirrors, please), and that's pretty much =
enough enough.  Very predictable stuff.  Professional pianists would be =
capable of the same, with experience.

Peace,
Sarah

  ----- Original Message -----=20