Bechstein refinishing

James Perkins jimperkins@mac.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:53:35 +0800

Gidday Gentlemen

I'm restoring a 1904 Bechstein B but have had contradictory advice
regarding the case finish- which is black.

Some say it might have been french- polished using necrocine (?) and
that it would be best to lacquer it. The finish is slightly crazed in
places but not bad overall. The veneer is several mms thick so I want
to take the finish back just so far as to bring it back to a high gloss
successfully.

I would value your collective experience as this is my first 'big one'!

James Perkins
42 Marlee Road
Parklands
WA 6210