hammer velocity

Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:07:38 +0200

"Delwin D. Fandrich" wrote:

Sigh. It's back to the Journal again. Only at pianissmo is there a
direct relationship between the motion of the key end and the hammer.
Since this is typically what we see at the regulating bench we make the
asumption that this is what occurs in the piano under normal play. In
fact as one approaches forte the key motion precedes that of the hammer
by an increasing amount. Indeed, in a typical "modern" concert grand the
keys in the bass up through the mid-range will have fully bottomed
somewhat before the hammer begins to move. From that point on energy is
moving through the system and is being delayed by the compression and
flexing of the various action components. At this point there is no
longer any hope for subtlty.

> Del

Hence the querrie I made about the "left over" force that could possibly
cause an accelleration of the hammer after the actual and direct force
of the key has been removed.

After several posts I think we all have gotten the point that there has
to be a force to accelerate/deaccelerate and object. Yet none of these
have really addressed the origional query satisfactorilly, tho a couple
have mentioned lightly the below.

What I'd be curious to know,  is if and when the flexing of action parts
can cause such an acceleration.

Thanks Del

RicB

Richard Brekne