Haunted Flanges

Dave Bunch pdtek@mchsi.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:26:04 -0500

After treating some stubborn wippen flanges on a Wurlitzer console with =
little success, I am repinning them. I started with the top section and =
then started to reinstall them. After replacing a few, I was shocked to =
find that they were still very tight. No, they can't be. If anything I =
pinned them a little on the loose side. While moving a wippen up and =
down I slowly loosened the screw to find the looser the screw got, the =
freer the center felt.

Well its getting late so I will deal with this tomorrow, but the only =
thing I can think of off hand is that the flange and the rail are not =
mating well and tightening the screw is distorting the flange and =
forcing the "legs" together causing binding on the wippen. Does this =
sound like a good guess? Anyone run into this? Best cure?

The irony is that the flanges may not have needed to be repinned in the =
first place. When ever I had removed one after treatment to check it by =
hand, it usually would not feel too tight. Hmmmm....well its getting =
repinned anyway which is still probably best for the long haul, if I can =
get rid of the binding problem.

Dave Bunch