Key Leads and Inertia

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:33:33 EDT

 Richard  writes:

<< If we simply know some general consequences for
various configurations of key leading... those can be made to conform to just
about any given FW specification easily enough... or what ? >>

The leads that are closer to the center of the key will move less distance
and at a slower inch per second rate than leads out at the end.  Since the
inertial effect of mass  seems to be exponentially linked to speed,   keys so
leaded should demonstrate less inertial resistance to heavy playing than
those that is not.
   I have found that leading the keys inboard like this,(part of the original
Steinway "Accelerated Patent) makes for a better feeling action.  I think
this is because of less change in inertial resistance as the force of the
playing increases.

And just for fun,  If we accept that key bending is setting the limit on
power an action is capable of, the leads in the center of the key will still
be moving when the front of the key has hit the punching.  (if the key is
flexible enough to bend under a heavy stroke, then the portion of the key
near the balance point will lag behind the outer extreme end,no?) .  So,  it
may be that the key with the leads near the balance point will function as a
mechanical capacitor, releasing energy after the end of the key, (and finger)
has stopped moving.

Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/