Key Leads and Inertia

Classic Touch Ent classictouchent@comcast.net
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:57:07 -0400

On Tuesday, April 29, 2003, at 01:12 PM, Delwin D. Fandrich wrote:

> One thing I did find was that to increase real acoustical power it was
> necessary to increase the product of hammer mass times velocity.

Do we need to increase acoustical power?
> This could
> not be done by simply increasing hammer mass--the bending and
> compressing of
> the various action components would simply reduce hammer velocity. The
> most
> direct and effective option was to increase key stiffness.
or can we focus on increasing efficiency. If energy loss due to key
bend is significant, increasing key stiffness  could result in faster
hammer velocity, the pianist might not  need to strike the key as hard
as before to get the same velocity.
Of course it's entirely possible increased key stiffness would only
serve to create more shank flex. Don't know how that might affect
hammer velocity.
efficiency/key stiffness/ strike delay/hammer velocity/ acoustic
power/performer limitations. Quite a balancing act.

>  But, herein lay a
> problem. As key stiffness increases so does wear and tear on the
> pianists
> fingers and joints. It seems there is a balance between action
> dynamics and
> the human hand that cannot be ignored without some physical
> consequences.
> The limitations of power lie not in the instrument but in the
> performer. In
> the quest for ever-more massive levels of sound power the battle has
> been
> won--by electricity. That being a given, perhaps it's now time to get
> back
> to building piano-forte's.
     A-A-A-MEN
Rich