Key Leads and Inertia

Delwin D. Fandrich pianobuilders@olynet.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 00:21:12 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Classic Touch Ent" <classictouchent@comcast.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 10:57 PM
Subject: Re: Key Leads and Inertia

> > This could not be done by simply increasing hammer mass--the bending and
> > compressing of the various action components would simply reduce hammer
> > velocity. The most direct and effective option was to increase key
stiffness.

> ...or can we focus on increasing efficiency. If energy loss due to key
> bend is significant, increasing key stiffness  could result in faster
> hammer velocity, the pianist might not  need to strike the key as hard
> as before to get the same velocity.

This is one of the simplest ways. Sometimes the only way. The example given
in the Journal articles was of a piano having keys so flexible they were
seriously limiting the range and power of the instrument.

> Of course it's entirely possible increased key stiffness would only
> serve to create more shank flex. Don't know how that might affect
> hammer velocity, efficiency/key stiffness/ strike delay/hammer velocity/
acoustic
> power/performer limitations. Quite a balancing act.

Yes. Especially in the case of the concert grand. From bass to treble the
keys are of varying lengths. As well, key complience varies with key offset.
Try holding the hammer stationary and pressing down on key #20 and key #21
on the typical Steinway D.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder