Key Leads and Inertia

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:19:51 -0400

Delwin D. Fandrich wrote:

> Most of the energy lost between the key end and the hammer goes into bending
> the key. At action saturation the front of the key fully bottoms before the
> hammer starts to move. I'm not sure how much key leading contributes to this
> but I shouldn't think it was all that much.
>
> Del

Del,

Your article on this topic in the Journal brings a new perspective to
how the action work. It seams like we are hell bent on calibrating
static balance and action leverage with out putting it into proper
perspective. Placing a tiny piece of lead it a key to achieve a balance
of 38g instead of 39g or making sure that all of the knuckles are in a
line to achieve a particular leverage seems overly picky and unnecessary
considering the magnitude of issues left unattended. These static
particulars are only relevant if the piano is played very softly. Once
the action gets up to speed (accelerated) inertia and compliance become
far more important.

In order to improve action efficiency I have been installing stiffening
top plates on actions with longer keys. I have done this on several
Steinway model Bs with good success. This seems to extend the dynamic
range while using a relatively soft light hammer (lighter hammers are
more efficient because they have lower inertia and bend the shank less).

You can test the compliance of a key by measuring how much it bends with
a known weight pulling down on the front end. Using this method I have
been able to ascertain which actions need this treatment. The
accelerated actions with all the leads near the balance rail are
particularly weak. Short keys are usually stiff enough.

I made the plates from 5mm maple and spruce (spruce in the high treble
only). New maple key buttons are installed as well. Longer .062" concert
grand key pins are installed (Pianotek). A new key stop rail needs to be
fashioned to provide clearance for the fallboard. Along the same lines,
when I make a new keyboard for the Model D I use maple and spruce for
the top plates - not soft basswood usually seen here (some don't even
have top plates).

View the photo on my wed site here:

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos