Bechstein refinishing

Pianosold@aol.com Pianosold@aol.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:20:35 EDT

Hi James

If the finish on this piano is original (likely) it is French Polish
(shellac).  The shellac is normal but for the addition of what we call
'spirit black' (in the UK anyway)
Spirit black is a powdered pigment  -  a bit like really fine soot !.  Black
French polish is readily available without the need for mixing etc these
days.

The veneer on black Bechsteins of this vintage is often very poor and
'crazed'.  I would'nt worry about removing the original finish; getting it
all flat is the challenge.

Regards

Rob Thornton