1925 gulby

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sun, 03 Aug 2003 21:38:42 -0700

pretty big job on customer's 1925 Gulbranson upright; player unit removed
waaay back when. (Thank God..or whoever) Besides the action overhaul that i
would end up doing, the keypins and tuning pin coils were quite rusty, so
not having the Travis Tuning Pin & Coil Cleaner, I had to improvise. I used
a yellow highlighter, which i cut in half, to use as the cylinder which was
to hold about 1" length of fuel line hose purchased at the local auto parts
store. I then found that a standard hammer shank fit perfectly into the
front of the highlighter where the tip had been. once glued inplace, it was
chucked into my drill and viola! Coil rust remover. I did go through about
10 pieces of hose, but in no time flat ALL the coils were sparkling and rust
free! Then, I cleaned the key pins in the same fashion, but this time I used
a piece of dense felt, cut to the length of a keypin and about 1/2" square,
and the drilled a very small hole straight down the middle that would fit
snuggly over each key pin. The other end was drilled larger to accept a
large dowel that would be glued and chucked in the drill. worked great! Then
I drizzeld McLube on all the key pins and they were now smooth as glass! I
also sprayed the bridges very generously and then used Protek CLP on the the
rest of the term. points.

Now, I forgot to mention...this piano was between 117-235 cents F L A T
!!!!!!  It hadn't been touched, let alone tuned in maybe 50 years! I told
the customer it would probably be best to NOT bring the pitch all the way to
A440,  and I suggested A 435. I told him if all goes well, we could try for
A440 at a future date. I explained the very real possibility of some, or
many broken strings, even if i only bring it to A 435. But something told me
that because of all the attention to preparation, especially the cleaning of
the coils and lubing, the old player could take it.
Well, as i began the initial pitch raise, i noticed the strings were
rendering quickly and not getting held up at all. I was quite surprised at
just how well this piano from the days of silent films was responding! The
pitch raise went off without a hitch...no pun intened, and the tuining
followed in quick succession; All without a SINGLE broken string! Actually,
I felt it could have probab taken the additional raising to A 440, but I
didn't want to press my luck.

The really cool thing, is that the original call for this job, which by the
way, the customer thought all it needed was a "regular tuning", came from my
short-lived Penny-Saver ad! It turned out that this one job alone payed for
the ad more than 15 times over! Gotta love it!

Terry Peterson