1925 gulby

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 07:17:05 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of pianolover 88
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 12:39 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: 1925 gulby

<BIG SNIP>
Now, I forgot to mention...this piano was between 117-235 cents F L A T

!!!!!!  It hadn't been touched, let alone tuned in maybe 50 years! I
told
the customer it would probably be best to NOT bring the pitch all the
way to
A440,  and I suggested A 435. I told him if all goes well, we could try
for
A440 at a future date. I explained the very real possibility of some, or

many broken strings, even if i only bring it to A 435. But something
told me
that because of all the attention to preparation, especially the
cleaning of
the coils and lubing, the old player could take it.
Well, as i began the initial pitch raise, i noticed the strings were
rendering quickly and not getting held up at all. I was quite surprised
at
just how well this piano from the days of silent films was responding!
The
pitch raise went off without a hitch...no pun intened, and the tuining
followed in quick succession; All without a SINGLE broken string!
Actually,
I felt it could have probab taken the additional raising to A 440, but I

didn't want to press my luck.

<SNIP>
Terry Peterson

Terry,
	You certainly were correct to be wary of string breakage with a
piano that flat, but in my experience, especially with all the prep work
you put in before moving the strings, you could have gone the rest of
the way to 440.
	Don't misunderstand me, you performed a great service in getting
this thing so close and I'm sure the customer will recognize the
improved bass tone alone and not have an issue with the pitch at 435,
but IMHO if they don't break on the way to 435 the strings won't be
likely to break that last bit more.
	Kind of like getting to the Hillary Step and not going the rest
of the way!
	I may have pitch raised one that flat just a few times in 30
years!
	Great job!
	Tom Driscoll