Magnetic friction reduction system

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 11:52:59 +0200

I have not tried it as I dont really think its such a good idea. I am
busy developing, along with several other techs, a system using small
high power magnets in a kind of virtual capstan application.

Check out the archives for disscussion about this last month. Our latest
thinking along these lines (for those of you who have followed this a
bit) is that two sets of magnets are probably the best solution. One set
forward of the capstan (opposing) and one set behind (attracting) at the
same distance from the capstan. This has the advantage of combining the
effects allowing for nearly 25 grams of FW reduction (or the equivalant
in other useages) and cancels the tendancy of the forward set to "lift"
the whippen off the capstan. It also keeps the force applied through the
keystroke far more even then with just the front set applied because the
front magnets get farther apart at very much the same rate as the back
magnets get closer together. Further it allows for the use of smaller
magnets even further reducing any tendancies to flux feild interference.

We are presently in the process of getting production started for the
prototype front key magnet assembly which will allow for about a 6  gram
adjustment of Balance Weight.

My first working model is nearly completed and will be taken into use in
10 days time at the University of Bergen.

Cheers

RicB

--
Richard Brekne