Pneumatic Soundboard Press

Thu, 7 Aug 2003 10:44:49 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0096_01C35CD0.ECDDFCF0
Check the Journal. These have been discussed and written about several =
times. Most recently, I think, by Clair Davies (sp?). Aside from the =
fact that he recommends using far more air pressure than is either =
required or advisable, this is a good place to start. I say "start" =
because most everyone seems to want to modify these things to suit.=20

I started with a go-bar press back in the 70s but abandoned it after one =
bar broke, starting a chain reaction that had bars going every which way =
and damaging the soundboard panel enough that I ended up replacing it. =
I've use a variety of air presses since then and would never go back.

Two photos are attached.

Del
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rob G.=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: August 07, 2003 10:04 AM
  Subject: Pneumatic Soundboard Press

  Is anyone aware of some detailed plans available for a good pneumatic =
soundboard press?  (the type with compressed air in fire hoses for =
tension).  I am researching for the press planned for the new shop.  I =
am reasonably familiar with the go-bar type and have a proven design for =
one but I want to look at both types.  What are the known flaws/problems =
related to pneumatic presses?  Does anyone here use one?  Any disaster =
stories?

  Curious,
  Rob Goodale, RPT
  Las Vegas, NV