Muting Pattern

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:52:54 -0500

Corte:

I do unisons as I go with just one mute.  I tune the left string --
muting the others -- move the mute over 1 slot and tune the middle
one to the left one, then move the mute to the next unison and
complete the unison.  That does involve tuning the last string with
two open strings, but it works well.  Sometimes in the high treble if
it's not really crisp and clear, I'll tune the left string to the
ETD, then move the mute and tune the right string to the ETD, then
tune the middle one.

There's no "right" way!

dave

On 8/8/2003 at 8:36 AM cswearingen@daigger.com wrote:

>Hello List,
>
>Since I started tuning part time about 3 years ago, I have always
strip
>muted the entire tenor and treble sections.  I use a Verituner and
set the
>center string of each tri-chord, check aurally, and once I'm
satisfied, I
>pull in the unisons (always aurally).
>
>I would like to try switching to tuning unisons as I go.  Can
someone
>experienced in this tell me their technique in moving the mutes
around
>(since strip muting is no longer an option with this method)?
>
>Do you use two mutes, one split mute, etc.  I prefer to only tune
one
>string of a unison to another string so I want to try and avoid the
>situation where I'm tuning one string of a tri-chord to the other
two open
>strings of the tri-chord.  However, I'm not sure if their is an
efficient
>muting pattern for this.
>
>Any suggestions or ideas you could provide would be great.
>
>By the way, thanks with all your suggestions on voicing down my
Yamaha U1.
>Here is the procedure I decided to try.
>
>1.  50/50 alcohol/water solution applied to the hammers
>2.  Taking a very small layer of felt off the hammers and then
polishing
>with 320 grit emery cloth (I reshaped the hammers about 6 months ago
so no
>further reshaping needed to be done)
>3.  Ironed the hammers
>
>This produced the desired rich warm tone I had wanted for the
longest time.
>Next time, I'm going to try the steam method.  Thanks again for your
>advice!
>
>Thanks,
>Corte Swearingen
>Chicago